Data are the foundation of scientific discovery and future research. It is important that research teams develop a good working plan for how to manage their data workflows and how to communicate and implement that plan, to ensure that the data and analyses remain intact, accessible, and understandable. All Duke research units are encouraged to develop a Data Management Plan (DMP) that describes the data governance policies within each group (i.e. how data are documented, organized, stored, and shared).
Duke’s DMP Guidance Document is designed to help researchers develop a DMP for their research group and outlines specific considerations, best practices, and links to helpful resources.
Duke’s DMP guidance has also been integrated into DMPTool.org as a Duke Template so you can write your research DMP and print directly to a Word doc or PDF.
Go to DMPTool.org and sign-in under "Duke University" as your institution. "Create a Plan" and check "No funder associated with this plan" and the guidance document's suggestions and best practices will automatically populate the tabs and guide your plan development. You can come back and edit your plan at any time, or share with others.
Duke IT Services and Tools supporting data management:
- Duke Library Center for Data and Visualization Sciences provides data management consulting services and instruction that support data-driven research.
- Duke’s Research Data Repository is available to anyone with a NetID for long-term archiving and open sharing of research data.
- Duke Research Computing provides consulting services for data management and storage through every stage of research.
- Duke Box and OneDrive for Business are cloud-based storage and collaboration services for all Duke University and Duke Health faculty, staff and students. The School of Nursing wrote a helpful description comparing these services.
- DMPTool: a Data Management Planning Tool from the University of California. Duke employees can sign on through the institutional login and use one of the shared DMP templates or create their own.
- REDCap™(Research Electronic Data Capture) is a data management/provenance system, for use in clinical research and other database applications.
- PMCoP , a recent initiative from the Duke Clinical and Translational Science Institute focused on Project Management Community of Practice to share project management resources.
- LabArchives is an electronic research notebook available to everyone at Duke with a netID.