Sponsored Travel Reporting Form

Investigators with federally-funded research are required to disclose certain information about all sponsored or reimbursed travel that meets certain criteria.

  • The faculty or staff member is paid on federally-funded research, which includes the following components

    • National Institutes of Health (NIH),
    • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),
    • Food and Drug Administration (FDA),
    • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA),
    • Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR),
    • Office of Global Affairs (OGA),
    • Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDAR),
    • Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA),
    • Indian Health Service (IHS),
    • Department of Energy (DOE);
  • The travel is reimbursed or sponsored by some external entity (see exceptions below);
  • The sponsored travel is related to your institutional responsibilities to Duke (e.g. as a physician scientist, you’re being sponsored to speak about your science, as opposed to being sponsored to speak on unrelated topic, like a hobby).

You do not have to report travel if it is reimbursed or sponsored by any of the following:

  • An institution of higher education (as defined in 20 U.S.C. § 1001(a)), a federal, state or local government agency, an academic teaching hospital, a medical center, or a research institute that is affiliated with an institution of higher education. 
  • However, these references refer to a U.S. Institution of higher education or a federal, state, or local government agency within the U.S. Therefore, Investigators, including Subrecipient Investigators, must disclose all travel information related to foreign Institutions of higher education or the government of another country.

Use this link for instructions on how to add a delegate to the sponsored travel disclosure form.